Saturday, September 23, 2017

This week (4) the focus was on sharing maps.  I explored internal data (data provided in the lab) and external data (ArcGIS online-world street maps). I created a list of the top 10 Alabama State Parks for cottages.  The list was initially rendered as an Excel table.  Then saved as a text document.  The text document was loaded into ArcGIS.com to covert to a point shapefile (geocoding). More button pushing and "BAM! My first web map." Click on the link:  Alabama State Park Cottages  I had some difficulty exporting the online map as a map package for use in ArcGIS, but did finally accomplish.  Here is a look at the map.

The final map for this week required creating a KMZ file (Utilized "Layer to KML Conversion" tool) from my Top 10 layer (shown above on the basemap). Here is a picture of my KMZ file layered with google earth!
Works better in google earth where you can zoom and click on the park symbol to get the name of the park, address, and a URL to the website.  


No comments:

Post a Comment