Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Week 6 Projections cont.

No finished map to post the week, must say that is a little disappointing for me.  I enjoy the satisfaction of a completed map at the end of the lab.  No map does not mean that it was a light week.  This week was most labor intensive so far.  I downloaded aerials (DOQQ), topo quadrangles (DRG), and shapefiles.  This doesn't sound to difficult but getting the files to download to my local drive and then access them through my student drive was challenging.  I finally resorted to saving the zipped file to local drive and upzipped to the student drive.  Either obtained data in State Plane projection or reprojected it to State Plane and then loaded it all in a rough map to be sure it all worked.
  1. downloaded aerials from Labins.org through the FTP site in State Plane projection
  2. downloaded Toporgaphic DRG files from Labins.org through FTP site in State Plane projection but when I checked the spatial reference it was undefined projection so I defined the projection as State Plane (since I know that is what I just downloaded)
  3. downloaded County Boundaries shape file from FGDL.org.  Their data is in Alber's projection so I had to reproject this data to State Plane
  4. downloaded Quad Index from FGDL.org.  (Again) Their data is in Alber's projection so I had to reproject this data to State Plane
  5. Finally I edited XY Tabular data provided for Eagle Nests for the assignment with Degree, Minute, Second geographic coordinates.  This had to be converted to Decimal Degrees to work in ArcGIS.  I inserted the formula to convert.  Then added XY data in ArcMap with an unknown coordinate system.  Defined the data as WGS1984 per lab instructions and then reprojected to State Plane
Intially when I checked the spatial reference of the XY Tabular data for Eagle Nest my points were not where they should have been.  After checking my formula I realized I had omitted a 0, and as we copied and pasted the formula the same error was throughout.  I corrected my formulas, and found my points were where they should be.  Yeay!  [only two pages left of lab assignment!].  The last two pages were "Do it again" with petroleum tank contamination sites instead of Eagle Nest and pick a different county for the aerials.  WHEW!  I submitted a screen shot showing the mess of all the layers in one map with the same projection.  I have included two of the screen shots.  Not pretty but hopefully it meets all the requirements!



No comments:

Post a Comment