Sunday, July 29, 2018

Proposal Final Project


This week we prepared our Final Project proposals.  We were provided with a template that outlined sections (Title, Introduction, Methods, Anticipated Results, References) and specifications that were to be addressed in each section.  The proposal written using clear, specific, professional and descriptive language in word format.

I am planning to relocate to this area in the future.  My sister is in Murphy and my parents just relocated to Plano in April.  I wanted to do my project on this area to gain some information for myself of the area.  Initially I thought of looking at the surrounding counties to see some of their economics and natural resources to find areas I might want to focus job searches.

This project made several transformations as the realization that my original desired study area (Collin and surrounding counties) was recognized as much too large.  Another revision when the data that I had acquired for the large area wasn't translating into a smaller study area (airports, lakes and geographic named areas are mostly outside of the study area).  Further revision when I realized that Plano and Murphy are so disproportionate in size, that comparisons were unrealistic.  Finally settling on this Exploration of Plano Texas.  As my parents have only recently moved here, focusing the project on finding and displaying data that would be useful to them, assist me with learning about the area (although limited) and a focus for this school project.

The base map above includes boundaries, roads, railroads, the lone airport, parks and surface water.  The concern for the location of toll roads is already being addressed in the base map and will continue to be highlighted by the bold symbology.  The goal of the project will be to include layers to the parks and water features for farmers markets, destinations and museums.  This will provide visual reference for where to go to do something fun.  A more informational map showing locations of hospitals in the area.  Maybe a larger scale map to show the locations of the airports.  An even larger scale map to show the names of surrounding counties to better follow weather alerts in their area.

No comments:

Post a Comment