Sunday, February 3, 2019

Module 4: Color and Choropleth


This week's project was to pick one state from a list provided and extract the state information and map the population change from 2010 to 2014.  I picked Colorado.  Colorado has 2 UTM zones and 3 StatePlane, so these were eliminated as projection choices.  I did not locate a projection specific for the State of Colorado.  I chose to use NAD 1983 (2011) Contiguous USA Albers.  A custom Albers projection adjusted with central meridian and standard parallel would have been better, but I couldn’t figure out how to change them.  The formula I utilized to normalize data to percent of change in population is: (Population 2014-Population 2010)/Population 2010*100.  I used an 8 class manually assigned classification.  I after looking at the natural breaks for a 5 class I decided to take the natural breaks and round them to more user friendly intervals keeping significant breaks for both growth and loss of population.  I also added a critical class for the 0 marker.  I utilized a divergent color scheme to help symbolize those that population increased/decreased.  Darkening greens to indicate increased growth and progressively darker grays for loss of population.


No comments:

Post a Comment